The pipe organ was built by Hele & Co in 1911 and opened Hubert Hunt, organist of Bristol Cathedral, Hubert Hunt.
In 2003, following years of very little maintenance, the end of the pipe organ’s life was evident, and got to the point of needing many thousands of pounds of repairs. It would have been a burden on the congregation to try and find this amount of money.
A plea was placed in the Swindon Evening Advertiser. The plea was seen by Ann Coventry, wife of the late Macdonald Coventry, a former local organist. Ann, kindly donated his practice instrument from home to the church. The new organ is far superior to the old pipe organ and is extremely versatile – and is capable accommodating most musical styles.
It is fitting, that as with the pipe organ, the new organ was officially opened by a cathedral organist! The opening recital given by Professor Dr Ian Tracey of Liverpool’s Anglican Cathedral was a very worthy addition to the musical history of this church.
The majority of pipework and action has now been removed as it was beginning to collapse. Some parts will be re-used in existing instruments where they can be. We have put on display the largest of the Dulciana pipes near the new organ console. Some of the large pedal pipes are now stored in the old organ loft, and on the west gallery. The front display pipes remain in situ.
You can download a PDF of the organ history and specifications below.
Organ history and specification